Can Contact Lenses Improve Your Game?
Approximately half of all UK residents have some sort of vision problem. With just as many engaging in some form of physical activity on a regular basis. As such, the likelihood that a great number of physically active people need some type of corrective vision assistance is high. But while many are aware of the benefits of wearing contact lenses while running, playing football and working out at the gym, many others simply assume that contacts and sports do not mix. Nothing, however, could be further from the truth. Below, we will examine some of the reasons why and how wearing contacts can actually improve your game.
How Contact Lenses Improve Physical Performance
Whether you count yourself among the superstars of the Premier League or you simply enjoy a bit of tennis with your mates on the weekend, contact lenses can help up your performance and your level of enjoyability. Here’s how:
- No more frame-induced blind spots - Trying to dig a volley out of the grass at the edge of the court while running flat out is difficult enough. Losing the ball behind the frame of your glasses only makes it that much more difficult. Likewise, trying to stop a shot on goal that originates at the periphery of your vision, behind the frame of your eyeglasses is like trying to play goal with your eyes closed. With contacts, especially multifocal lenses, you have complete command of the entire field of vision and the frame-induced blind spot becomes a thing of the past.
- Reduced risk of injury - Unless you have invested a thousand pounds into a pair of state-of-the-art athletic goggles the glasses you wear onto the pitch or the court or to the gym represent nothing short of an accident waiting to happen. Traditional framed glasses - even if they are restrained to some degree by an elasticized strap around the back of the head - are susceptible to being knocked out of place by a hard hit or an unexpected shot to the head by the football, cricket ball, tennis ball or opposing player. When that happens the risk of injury is substantial as either the frame or the lens or both could shatter and send debris into your eyes. Even the toughest glass lenses become a significant threat to your eyes if they are jarred loose from the frame. Contact lenses are engineered to stay in place even if you experience a severe jolt.
- A stable field of vision - Even the most meticulously crafted sports goggles are prone to being knocked out of whack during critical moments. A collision with another player, an inadvertent elbow or any of a thousand other hazards can rock your glasses and cause blurred vision at a time when you need to know exactly what is going on around you. In such cases you are ceding the upper hand to the opponent. Contact lenses from Pure Optical can put an end to this type of situation and level the playing field for you.
- Lifting the London fog - When inclement weather rolls in those wearing glasses often find themselves needing to continually clear their lenses of condensation. It’s like having your own personal London fog hanging in front of your eyes. That is no way to conduct business on the pitch or the court. And it represents a substantial safety hazard when you are out pounding the pavements on an evening run. Even if your glasses do not become fogged over due to extreme humidity they can still make is devilishly difficult to see when the rain is pouring down onto them. Neither of these issues will ever arise when you wear contact lenses. You will have a clean, clear field of vision at all times of the day or night in every type of weather.
- Greater versatility - Whether you are into motorsports, cricket, rugby or polo wearing glasses under a helmet can represent a significant challenge. Often times when you need to turn your head quickly the helmet prevents your glasses going with you, or causes them to shift in a way that skews your vision or leaves the glasses awkwardly positioned on your nose. Contact lenses on the other hand are never intimidated by a helmet. If you are called upon to enter the field of play you simply slip on your helmet like everyone else and head off to battle. If, during the course of the match, your helmet takes a shot while protecting your head your contact lenses stay put and allow you to resume play undaunted.
- Greater comfort - Let’s face it. Even glasses that have robust elasticized restraining straps to hold them in place are still glasses. And while eyeglasses have helped untold millions of people over the years see better they are still an impediment to comfort on the pitch or court or while running on the pavement. They interfere with headgear, can be jammed into your face during contact with other players or objects and often flop about when running. They can also get sweaty or steamed up and cause irritation to your ears and nose. Contact lenses eliminate all the above listed comfort issues. They slip into place and become, for all intents and purposes, part of you. In all likelihood you will forget you even have them on, regardless of how intense the level of competition.
Make Contact Lenses Part of Your Athletic Regime
Eyeglasses are great for day to day activities and few things help you make a fashion statement quite as powerfully as a great looking pair of eyeglasses. But when it comes to physical activity eyeglasses quickly change from being an asset into being a distinct and considerable liability. Contact lenses, on the other hand, provide a range of advantages over eyeglasses that will help you better realize your athletic potential and enhance your level of safety on the field of play. Talk to the eyecare professionals at Pure Optical today on 0330 123 3325 to learn more.